Thermal Management Testing Facility
Manufacturing a controlled environment for testing jet engines
The design, supply and installation of a high end, high spec chilled water and air handling system for the Rolls Royce Test Cell at Cranfield University.
The cell tests jet engine fuel pumps in various ambient temperatures. By creating a full BIM model, we were able to test our design and fabricate the pipework off site – successfully delivering a fully-controlled system whilst reducing overall project costs and time on-site.
● Space constraints due to the small footprint of the existing building
● ATEX-rated test chamber due to use of aviation fuel
● Requirement for full control and instrumentation systems linked to site network
● Created a full BIM model to test design in advance
● Off-site fabrication of pipework
● All controls run via programmable logic controller (PLC) linked to site-wide
chiller, air handling unit, dampers, valves, instrumentation, control
Client: Cranfield University & Rolls Royce